Practice makes perfect

Although the track and field season does not start until February 25, the participants in the sport are already hard at work preparing for what looks to be a successful season, according to coach Scott Harris.

“Right now, they’re just doing the weight room a couple days a week, and practicing their running and sprinting,” Coach Harris said. “I think Joe McDevitt is [going to succeed] in the fiscus–we’re excited for the season. Coach Breuer is going to be coming back for his second year, and he’s helped really build up the program.”

As far as what he wants to tell the students at FHC, Coach Harris just wants kids to get involved.

“It’s a great opportunity to get involved,” Coach Harris said. “Normally we have more than 100 people participate–so if you’re looking for something to do this spring, think of track.”

For junior Abby Woods, the workouts are a necessity as she prepares for the upcoming track season.

“Mostly we’re doing weights and abs, just trying to get back into shape. If you don’t do the work out and you go out and do track, you’re going to get injured. Probably the most common are shin splints or pulling a muscle,” Woods said. “It’s not that intense.”

But workouts aside, she is still looking forward to the genuine start of the season in February.

“Yeah, I’m definitely excited,” Woods said.