Clash of the Warriors

The Spartans faced off against their District rival Howell North this past Wednesday and Thursday, and while North’s poor record made the Spartans confident about taking both games, Wednesday did not go as planned. Senior Clayton Luley, who was coming off his first win of the year in his last start, struggled throughout the game, allowing seven runs (although, only six were earned runs) off of eight hits, despite impressing by striking out six. Senior Roger Robinson had the best game overall hitting on the Spartans, going two for four with two hits and two RBIs. Junior Troy Newell also had two hits in the game, in addition to one RBI.

The loss pushed the Spartans back to four games under .500 at 6-11, as Howell North improved to a mere 4-14 on the season. The Spartans were outhit six to nine and had three errors during the first game, a major struggle for them throughout the season.

Thursday’s game was more in Central’s favor, as this time, the game was being played at Central, where despite the loss against Howell, they have played quite well at. The Spartans in a rout defeated Howell North 6-1. The Knights were stunned at the plate, striking out a total of eight times, and only garnering five hits.

Central, on the other hand, performed well at the plate, and being propelled by solid starting pitching, including some minor relief from senior Tanner Emring (he only threw six pitches) who was fresh off the DL from a hurt wrist. Emring, however, was visibly frustrated when he was put back on the DL with a hurt ankle. With the win, the Spartans were able to inch closer to the .500 mark they need to get to as the later half of the season is in full force.

The Spartans record is now at 7-11, and with seven games to go. With a game against Festus this afternoon, and two games next week against another tough rival, Fort Zumwalt West, it’s crunch time for Central. One advantage for Central, however, is the fact that only one out of their last eight games are on the road.

While the clash of the warriors over the course of these two days ended with both teams winning once, Central is looking to start a winning streak today at home against Festus. The road to .500 is officially underway. The game starts at 4:15.