Cutting it close

The Spartans baseball team is catching itself on the receiving of a three-game losing streak, including two straight against rival Fort Zumwalt West. Last Tuesday was the first of a three-game set against the red hot Jaguars who came in with a record of 15-9. The Spartans, unfortunately, committed more errors than they garnered hits, as they committed four errors but only three hits. Junior Troy Newell, despite striking out six, struggled throughout the game, allowing three earned runs (five runs in total) over four innings of work.

Central struggled at the plate, striking out five times, and were unable to score throughout the game. The loss dropped the Spartans to 8-13. Things, however, were only going to get worse.

The very next day, the Spartans played their second game in a row against the Jaguars, this time at home. The result was a much closer game. Central exploded in the first inning with three runs, and Zumwalt West was only able to mount one run in the second and third innings. In the top of the seventh, however, was when the Jaguars pounced. They scored four runs, and gained the lead, and eventually won by the same score of 8-6.

The Spartans were lead by senior Clayton Luley, who hit a double and garnered an RBI, as well as junior Mitch Miller, who scored two runs and also drove in two RBIs on the game. Luley, however, had some struggles on the mound, walking six and allowing four runs on six hits. Despite the less-than stellar pitching performance, he did not receive the loss in the game. Junior Cody Calhoun received the loss after allowing four earned runs on four hits.

This improved the Jaguars record to 17-9, and dropped the Spartans to a mere 8-14 with only five games left. This ensures the fact that Central will not finish over .500.