Spartans win defensive game to begin season

After a 16-11 season last year, the varsity baseball team is looking for another successful winning season this year and a deeper run in the post season. The boys got off to a good start on Monday with a win against Parkway Central by a score of 1-0. Parkway Central was ranked sixth in the state to begin the year.

The game started with a walk to junior second baseman Dylan Schindler, who proceeded to steal second base. The pitcher for Parkway Central then balked, which advanced Schindler to third base and sophomore catcher Jake Henson stroked a base knock that scored the first and only run of the game.

The Spartans were led by senior starting pitcher Kevin Griffith and senior Cody Woods in relief. Combined, they gave up two total hits on their way to a shutout in the first game of the season. This was the first time Woods had pitched in a high school game since his freshmen season, and he was very nervous.

“I was really nervous at first,” said Woods. “After I got the first out though, I was zoned in and confident. I knew I could close the game out.”

According to Coach Ray Howard, the game was preserved by two key plays made in the field by Schindler and sophomore center fielder Zach Isham.

“The play that [Shindler and Isham] made was a big part of us getting the win,” said Coach Howard.

The play Coach Howard spoke of was a relay on a base hit by Parkway Central that would score the potential game tying run had the two not cut him down.

“It was perfect. Isham made a perfect throw to Schindler, Schindler made a perfect trow to Henson and Henson made a perfect tag at the plate to end the game,” said Coach Howard.

As the season is still young, the Spartans will continue their run in the Parkway South tournament, where they will face the host Parkway South team tonight.