Spartans stay above .500 with 6-5 record

Following two straight losses to Summit High School and Timberland High School, the Spartan varsity baseball team rebounded in its next two contests with victories over Duchesne High School 17-12 and with a win against Marquette by a score of 11-10. The Spartans then found themselves on the short end of a 9-5 game last night against Fort Zumwalt West.

The Spartans have been led this season by senior utility player Justin Hennig, who has a .484 batting average in 39 plate appearances with seven runs batted in, and sophomore catcher Jake Henson, who has a .424 batting average in 38 plate appearances and 15 runs batted in.

Senior starting pitcher Kevin Griffith continues to lead the Spartans on the mound with a 1.56 earned run average through 18 innings pitched. Griffith has struck 13 batters out so far this season.

The Spartans continue to look to the seniors on the team to lead the young talent and keep them progressing.

“We have a lot of young players,” said senior outfielder Cody Woods. “We have to make sure we do everything we can to get them to be as good as they can be if we want to win. We count on them a lot of times.”

As the season progresses, the team looks ahead to its next game today when they go on the road to face off against the 2-5 team of Barat Academy High School.