Baseball snaps winning streak

The baseball team has found itself on a bit of a winning streak over the past two weeks. Winning in six straight games before dropping its last contest against Wentzville Holt. The final score was 3-2. The Spartans are now sitting with a record of 12-7 as it continues their gradual approach to districts.

Sophomore outfielder Josh Wade has stepped up for the team in his first crack at the varsity level. He is batting .538 in 13 total at-bats with seven hits and four runs-batted-in so far this season. Sophomore catcher Jake Henson has helped carry the load throughout the entire season batting .481 in 54 at-bats and 26 hits with a team-leading 31 runs-batted-in.

Senior Kevin Griffith leads the team on the mound with a 1.17 earned run average and 17 strikeouts through 24 innings pitched this season. He shares the duties on the mound with senior pitcher Matt Mueller who has a 5.12 earned run average and 15 strikeouts through 27.3 innings pitched.

According to senior Cody Woods, the team has been showing improvement the whole season, and he feels that if they keep at it, they could make a good run in the end of the year tournaments.

“I think that every game we have shown improvement in some way or another,” said Woods. “If we continue getting better the end of the year may not be as close as it seems.”

The Spartans next game will be tonight against rival Howell at C&H park at 4:15.