Successful defense leads to win

The Spartan baseball team bettered its record to 11-5 last night when it held off a Troy Buchanon team by the score of 3-2. In the home win, senior starting pitcher Matt Mueller paved the Spartans’ way to a victory.

“A lot of times we make stupid mistakes that cost us close games like these,” said senior Cody Woods. “This game we didn’t; we played seven innings of good baseball.”

Sophomore Jake Henson continues to lead the team on the offensive side of the game. Henson is batting .489 with 24 runs batted in, which is the most on the team. Sophomore Josh Wade is starting to see his bat heat up and is batting .538 with four runs batted in, in just 20 plate appearances this season.

Sharing the majority of the pitching duties this season for the Spartans have been seniors Kevin Giffith and Mueller and junior Bryan Webb. Griffith leads the team in earned run average, allowing just four runs through 23 innings for a 1.22 era and 16 strikeouts.

As the end of the season draws near, the Spartans head into a rivalry game this Friday when they travel to C&H Park to face off against Francis Howell.