Baseball falters nearing district tournament

As the baseball season approaches its end, the Spartans have seen themselves stumble as of late. After what seemed to be a good start to the end of the season with back-to-back wins, the Spartans faltered in their last three contests.

After a 10 run loss to the defending state champions of Fort Zumwalt South, the Spartans then lost to Fort Zumwalt North by a score of 3-1. Last night was the third of the three straight losses when they lost to Pattonville in three-run fashion by a score of 7-4.

The Spartans have been led by underclassmen throughout the entirety of the season. Sophomores Jake Henson and Austin Boden have carried the team offensively with 32 and 24 runs batted in respectively. On the mound, senior Matt Mueller continues to carry most of the load with 29.3 innings pitched and a 6.44 earned run average with 16 strikeouts.

According to senior outfielder Cody Woods, the team needs to conmcentrate on the future and not the past.

“If we want to turn this around we have to focus on what hasn’t happened yet,” said Woods. “Things in the past can’t be changed but we have to make sure that they aren’t repeated.”

The Spartans next competition will be Hazelwood West High School tonight on the road.