Spartans kill Vikings

A victory over the Vikings on Wednesday marks the volleyball team’s first win of the season. The team only had to play two games to win the match with scores of 25-21 and 25-19. According to Coach Mark McAfee, senior Jack Gamache played a huge role in the win with 10 kills and four service aces.

“When you beat a team in two games, it’s a big deal,” Gamache said. “It means you were in control of the game. We just got in their head and lowered their self esteem.”

Despite the fact that the team lost key players last year, the team is beginning to fill the spots of those seniors and become more of a team.

“We lost a lot of big players last year, and I feel that I have to step up and be a team leader,” Gamache said.

While Gamache excelled in the Howell game, Coach McAfee believes there is room for improvement.

“We need to improve on the mistakes we’ve made in our first two matches, but compared to the [beginning of the season,] we are really starting to mesh,” Coach McAfee said.

Their next game is a “Volleyball Blast” which consists of 30 teams going head-to-head to be a part Gold and Silver brackets. This “blast” will be played here over the weekend.