Swim team triumphs in win

The girls swim team earns a definitive win against Hazelwood Central.

On Tuesday, the girls swim team earned a massive 135 points to win its meet against Hazelwood Central, whose team scored 52 points. This high score was supported by the multiple sweeps the team took in events.

“There were four individual events where our girls swept the events and took first, second and third,” Coach Jessica Graslie said. “Our relays took first, second and third in the 200 medley [relay] and first and second in the 200 and 400 free [relays].”

In addition, the team achieved wins in the 50 freestyle and 100 freestyle events. Junior Luta Young, who won first place in the 50 Freestyle, has been swimming since her freshman year.

“She’s worked so hard and shown so much improvement since coming to us as a new swimmer her freshman year,” Coach Graslie said.

In the 500 Freestyle race, second and third place were taken by senior captains Hayley Lechner and Kristy Carroll, respectively.

“This is an event that most of the girls dread swimming. I think Hayley and Kristy are pretty excited that this was probably their last time ever having to swim this event in high school,” Coach Graslie said.

The team has a more competitive meet tonight against Francis Howell High School, one of their toughest competitors according to Coach Graslie. On Friday night, they will compete against Holt and Timberland in a tri-meet. Also, even with a loss of practices due to snow, the girls are continuing to prepare for the GAC meet which will be held in February.

“After a long break because of the weather, I’m looking forward to the girls swimming all of the upcoming meets and watching them drop a lot of time to prepare for GACs,” Coach Graslie said.