Choir prepares for the new year

As the first full week of second semester comes to a close, choir is preparing for their performances that will take place at this year’s Fine Arts Festival. The event will take place this Friday Jan. 13, from 6:30 p.m. until 10 p.m.

“The choir will be performing a little bit differently than usual,” said Director Elisabeth Baird. “The festival will not be in the same style of our normal performances, it’s going to be a whole new thing for us.”

They will be doing a mock open mic night in a coffeehouse type setting. The members will be singing in small groups, and as soloists, as opposed to their normal large group.

Along with getting ready for the Fine Arts Festival, the choir is also preparing for the rest of 2012. They have five more main performances coming, including All-State, Solo and Ensemble District Festival, Large Group State Festival and their annual Spring Concert.

With the season coming to a close, Mrs. Baird is trying to figure out who will be where next year.

“Right now, we are just working on placements for next year’s groups,” said Baird.

As underclassmen begin to fill out their schedules for next year, choir is encouraging anyone to join. Seniors such as Kyle Braden have begun to recruit new members, and they are hoping for an excellent turn out for next year, to make up for all of the amazing talent they will be losing as seniors graduate, according to Baird.