Record finish re-energizes school

The winter season was a record setter for the girls’ basketball team. The team won the district by beating Howell North for the third time, which any athlete knows is a difficult task. From this spot the team moved on to the sweet sixteen at Maryville where the defeated Hazlewood Central to move on to the elite eight. This game went in to overtime in similar fashion to the earlier meeting between FZW and FHC, and once again the Lady Spartans came out on the losing side. While this game was taking place at University of Missouri St. Louis, our school played host to a game carrying the same weight.

Soldan international took on the Duschenne Pioneers on Saturday in the FHC gym in a basketball match up that sent the winner to state. The line was out the door to the student parking lot and according to Coach Larry Anders, the gym had never been so crowded.

“I had never seen so many people in the gym going crazy for a team” Anders said.

Soldan emerged victorious to make their third trip to Mizzou Arena in three years.

In addition to the busy weekend, tryout week has just come to an end and athletes are trying to settle into the new season and so is the Activities office. According to Activities Director Scott Harris, cancellations and weather can put a strain on scheduling.

“Anytime we have cancellations, we have to work with the other schools to reschedule games if it will affect the season,” Harris said.

The spring season also brings a meeting for parents of all participating athletes.

“We host the meeting to make sure all participants know the school expectations for athletes and can make themselves successful in their respective season,” Harris said.