Teacher of the Year 2012-2013

Every year, one teacher out of FHC’s staff is named teacher of the year. This award recognizes teachers that are seen as going above and beyond by both students and teachers. This year’s recipient is French teacher Mrs. April Burton. As a result of how few of these awards are given out, it is both a rare and special occasion for any teacher that is named.

“I am shocked and extremely honored that I received this award,” said Mrs. Burton. “I am glad and appreciate that my peers think so very highly of me and I do work very, very hard and I try hard with what I do. It feels great to be acknowledged for my hard work.”

To receive a nomination for Teacher of the Year award, one of the teacher’s coworkers notices their extra working or effectiveness as a teacher. Next, that colleague finds a student second the nomination by signing a form. The nominations are then sorted out by an administrator and the top picks are chosen. The top nominees are then voted on by the teachers and as soon as their votes are tallied, the winner is announced.

“The Teacher of the Year award seeks out teachers that have impacted students and teachers in a positive and innovative way,” Dr. Jennifer Miller, who is the World Languages department chair, said. “She meets these criteria in so many ways; especially by using technology in new and interesting ways and is really getting the kids to become more involved in their learning of French. I am ecstatic that she got the award.”

Freshman Daniel Begley describes how his French teacher strives to work with students to ensure everyone succeeds.

“She’s a really good teacher,” said Begley. “[She’s] always helpful when you ask for it … she deserves it.”

Additional reporting by Ben Sandfort