Sept. 13, 2011

Announcements:

Daily announcements will now be available on www.fhctoday.com at the following link: https://www.fhctoday.com/bulletins/daily-announcements

These announcements will be available via text message. To get them via text those interested can do the following:

-Open a text message

-In the message field, type: Follow FHCtoday

-Send the message to the following number: 40404

Detention is now open and available for students to serve their detentions every morning at 6:30-7:15. You may also serve detentions everyday at 2:30 – you must report to the cafeteria on time. Or, you may serve detentions on Saturdays from 9:00 – Noon.

DATE CHANGE: ALL SENIORS the Senior Big/Panoramic Picture has been changed to Tuesday, September 27th during 2nd hour.

Grab your favorite hat and $1 on Friday, September 16. FBLA is sponsoring a fund raiser for Joplin Disaster Relief, specifically Joplin High School. FBLA members will be at all entrances to collect your dollars and give you a sticker for your hats. Let’s have some fun and support our fellow Missourians

Homecoming!

Guest and Fine Forms are now available – remember that you cannot buy a ticket until you have a Fine Form completed! And no dates that are not students at FHC can attend the dance without a Guest Form completed. Pick those up at your Principal’s office.

Remember that you can vote for the students you want to see on the Homecoming Court during lunches on September 15th and 16th. Look for the table at lunch.

Also – pre-order your Homecoming T-Shirt this week so that you’re sure to get the size you want when you buy your tickets! Stop by the tables at lunch.

There will be a Speech/Debate meeting on Tuesday, September 13th at 5:00 PM in Room 2.

St. Charles Community College will be hosting the 21’st Annual College Fair this Sunday, 9/18 form 1-3 PM. For more information call 636.922.8226 (9/16)

Congratulations to the FHC Students of the Month for September.

Students were chosen by the World Language Dept.

9th Breanna Gajewski

10th Courtney Jones

11th James Pugh

12th Elliot Russo

Attention Junior and Senior boys. Homecoming is approaching, and we need some dancers! If you are interested in becoming a Powder Puff Pommer, please sign up and get information from Ms. Haberstroh in room 002.

All girls interested in playing in the homecoming Powder Puff Football Game need to pick up an information packet from their class sponsor. The deadline for signs ups is Thursday Sept. 1. Senior Class – Ms. Denny (ladies locker rm.), Junior Class – Mrs. Morrow (rm .207), Sophomore Class- Mrs. Bear (rm. 157) and Freshman Class – Ms. Fay (rm. 150).

The 2011 Minority Journalism Workshop is open to high school students and first-year college students. Students will be led through a hands-on glimpse of communications jobs by local professionals in the areas of print, multimedia, broadcast media, public relations and photojournalism. The workshop members will visit the University of Missouri-Columbia — one of the nation’s most prestigious journalism schools. There are no fees for this workshop and lunch will be provided each day. Interested students should see Mrs. Breuer in the guidance for an application. The application deadline is Sept. 9.

Students interested in a health care career. St. Luke’s Hospital is conducting an Open House on Sept. 7 at 6:30 – 8:00p.m. to explore their Health Care Program. See Mrs. Breuer in guidance for more info.

Clubs

There will be a FCCLA meeting next Wednesday, Sept. 14 before school at 7:00 in room 157. Fundraising is due at this time. ALL interested members must attend and the $15 dues are due by Sept 16. Please see Mrs. Bear if you can’t make the meeting before the 14th.

Interested in joining Principal’s Council? Pick up an application from Mrs. Heidenreich in the main office or see a current Principal’s Council Member. Let your voice be heard – meet with Dr. Arnel to discuss current school issues and ideas.

Deadline to turn in forms is September 14th.

The FHC Bowling Club will be holding sign-ups at Harvest Lanes on Thursday, Sept. 8 from 3-5p.m.

Art Club will be meeting every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday until the day of the parade. We will stay until 5p.m. most days. Come help if you like!

The 300 Pep Club will meet in room 109 to discuss Homecoming activities, Student Involvement, our first Pep Assembly, and tol design t-shirts for the upcoming school year. The meeting date will be Sept. 15 at 2:30p.m.

The FHC Book Club will have its first meeting Wednesday, Sept. 28 during 7th hour. The first selection of the year is a Gateway nominee; Hold Still by Nina LaCour. Stop by the library and see Mrs. Head for more details.

FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) Meetings are held on Thursday mornings at 7:00a.m. in room 106 with advisor, Ms. Neal. Join us for community service, social activities, leadership activities and business news. FBLA is also offering the opportunity to march in the homecoming parade Sept. 29. Help us make the banner and pass out candy to the spectators.

Science Club

Meets every other week in room 222. Our upcoming meetings are

Tuesday, Sept. 13

Thursday, Sept. 29.

Volunteers are needed to help clean parks for National Public Lands Day Saturday, Sept. 17.

Sports

Anyone interested in playing ultimate Frisbee in the spring should attend an informational meeting on Thursday, Sept. 8, after school in Mr. Becker’s room, room 121. We’ll be setting up a weekly pickup game, so ANYONE who’s interesting in playing should attend.

Open Gym for girls basketball will begin soon. On Tuesdays and Thursdays from now until basketball season begins in November we will be having open gym. Come on out and hoop-it-up this fall, everyone is invited.

The Weight Room (room 008) is open for student use after school – Hours: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday 2:35-4:30p.m. or Tuesday and Thursday from 2:35-4:00p.m.

Attention all students who think they are going to college to play Division 1 or Division 2 sports: see your counselor as soon as possible to verify course selection while at FHC.

College Visits Date Period

Missouri University of Sci and Tech 9/6 1

University of Missouri-K.C. 9/7 3

Lindenwood University 9/7 6

Blackburn College 9/9 3

St Louis College of Pharmacy 9/9 6

Truman State University 9/13 1

Drake University 9/15 1

University of Evansville 9/16 6

MIZZOU 9/19 6

Fontbonne 9/20 3

Drury University 9/20 6

Saint Louis University 9/20 7

Benedictine College 9/21 1

University of Alabama 9/21 6

Rockford College 9/22 6

Bradley University 9/27 6

Rockhurst University 9/27 7

SEMO 9/28 7

MacMurry College 10/5 3

Lindenwood University 10/5 7

Florida State University 10/18 2

College of Charleston-South Carolina 10/19 3

UMSL 10/19 6

Westminster College 10/20 3

William Jewell 10/20 7

McKendree University 10/21 3

SIU-E 10/24 6

University of Central Missouri 10/25 2

Harris Stowe 10/25 6

Hannibal LaGrange 10/26 3

Millikin 11/1 6

Missouri Baptist University 11/2 1

Southwest Baptist University 11/7 3

Scholarships As Of September 1, 2011

Sponsor Scholarship Deadline Contact Info Brief Description of Criteria For

Danforth Scholars Program Full & Partial 10/15/2011 Dean Stahl @ 314-935-5040 Nominated for maturity, strong moral character, selflessness, and commitment to the community Seniors

Earl Collins Foundation $750 11/18/2011 Ms. Breuer @ 636-851-4637 Must score at least 23 on the ACT Seniors

The Violet Richardson Award $1,000 12/1/2011 Judy Bick Young women 14-17 who volunteers in your community or school All