State choir competition conflicts with musical

On April 30, students from the choir will be traveling to the University of Missouri – Columbia to compete in the state competition. There will be two ensembles and four soloists competing from school. Those competing will be performing the same pieces they sang at the district competition on March 5.

“The judges will be using the same judging scale as before (five to one, one being the best you can get),” said junior Melissa Mossinghoff. “But this time the judges are generally more harsh, making it more difficult to get a one at state.”

The state competition is being held on the same day as the opening day of the school musical, “Seussical,” which is bringing anxiety to those who will be performing at both, said Mossinghoff.

“[Those competing in state] will not get their time-slots until the week or so before it,” said Mossinghoff. “Many of us are involved in both and may have to, depending on our performance times, rush back to school for [‘Seussical’].”

Time-slots can range anywhere between 8 a.m. to about 4 p.m., said Mossinghoff. Many students will be not only performing as soloists but in small ensembles too.

“Some students will be singing multiple times [at state],” said Mossinghoff. “It will probably be a long day for those who are also in ‘Seussical.’”

The state competition will be the choir’s last competition of the year. Those competing hope to return with rankings of a one. According to Mossinghoff, only two students have received ones at state since she has been in high school.

“Although there is not another competition after state, it is a really cool feeling to get a one [ranking] at state,” said Mossinghoff. “I hope to get a one again at state.”