International club has first meeting, elects officers

International Club held an ice cream social for new and returning members on Tuesday, Aug. 16 in sponsor Mrs. Katie Lozano’s room. At the meeting the club members were informed of some of the activities the club is involved in throughout the year. They also elected officers for the year.

The officers for this year are junior James Pugh as president, senior Josh Burns as vice president, junior Allie Straub as secretary, senior Mollie Lager as historian and sophomore Brandon Donahue as treasurer. Officers will meet once per month and the rest of the club will meet once to twice per month, according to Mrs. Lozano.

“International Club members will help with service projects, Adopt-A-Family, International Night and other Spanish, German and French activities,” Mrs. Lozano said.

The club is currently doing a t-shirt fundraiser that will end on Thursday, Sept. 1. There are four different t-shirt options, one for French, German and two for Spanish. If anyone would like to see a drawing of the shirt then ask an International Club member or stop by Mrs. Lozano’s room.

Mrs. Lozano says the club is always open for enrollment. Students do not have to be enrolled in a foreign language class to become a member. Information for the club can be found on the International Club board outside in front of the stairs by Mrs. Lozano’s classroom or by asking Mrs. Lozano.

“If anyone wants to join International Club, they should listen for announcements to find out when meetings will be,” Mrs. Lozano said. “They also can find out more information by looking at the International club board.”

Some of the additional perks of being in the club are being able to add it to college applications and heavily involved members, who are seniors, can apply for scholarships at the end of the year given out by the club. Last year the club gave out two scholarships of $300 to two different students, Mrs. Lozano said.