International Club continues annual tradition

With one quarter down and three more to go, International Club will be meeting again on Tuesday, Oct. 25 in Mrs. Katie Lozano’s room. At the meeting, the group will be discussing this year’s plans for Adopt-A-Family.

“We will be getting ready to start our annual fundraiser, Adopt-A-Family,” Mrs. Lozano said. “We will be collecting monetary donations to buy presents for families in need and physical donations for Christmas presents and canned foods [for the families].”

International Club has participated in Adopt-A-Family for over four years. Like last year, it will be collecting donations for two families.

“By participating in Adopt-A-Family we hope to provide staple food items to get the families through the year. We want to take the worries off their shoulders,” Mrs. Lozano said. “We try our best every year to provide what the family requests on their list, or as many [items] as possible.”

Last year the club raised about $2,500 and received many donations for the two families they adopted. But, they want to provide even more for the families this year. Mrs. Lozano plans for the club to use coupons so they can stretch their monetary donations and donate even more.

With such high goals, the club will be meeting more frequently throughout the rest of the semester. The club will be meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 8 and 15; Wednesday, Nov. 30; Tuesday, Dec. 1 and 6; and Monday, Dec. 5 after school.

Adopt-A-Family is a very beneficial fundraiser, but is very time consuming between collecting donations, buying presents, and wrapping and delivering the gifts, according to Mrs. Lozano. The club currently has very few active members and is looking for more help.

“The more people we get to participate in collecting donations, the more families we can help,” Mrs. Lozano said.