International Club prepares to stretch funds for families

Tuesday, Nov. 1, International Club met in Mrs. Katie Lozano’s room to cut and sort coupons for Adopt-A-Family. The club will be providing for two Hispanic families through St. Joachim and Ann.

Unlike in previous meetings, the club had a large number of people attending this past meeting according to Mrs. Lozano. Many members of International Club are also actively involved in other extracurricular activities and jobs.

“Usually we have around ten people at each meeting, but because a lot of the students have other commitments, it’s usually a different group of people at each meeting,” Mrs. Lozano said.

During Nov. 14-22, foreign language teachers will be collecting spare change and donations that will become the funds to buy all of the gifts for the families. By incorporating coupons into its plans for this year, the club hopes to stretch the money raised by foreign language teachers.

Adopt-A-Family is a very beneficial fundraiser but is very time consuming between collecting donations, buying presents, wrapping and delivering the gifts, according to Mrs. Lozano. She encourages students to join because the club works around with student’s schedules and welcomes everyone.

“We’re a flexible group though, so it doesn’t matter if you can’t make it to every meeting. Anyone is welcome to join the club at anytime.”

Upcoming meetings for International Club are: Tuesday, Nov. 8 and 15; Wednesday, Nov. 30; Thursday, Dec. 1, Monday, Dec. 5 and Tuesday, Dec. 6 after school until 3 p.m. The more people who come and help out, the more families the club can help, Mrs. Lozano said.