A change in pace

My life runs on being overwhelmed.

Primarily defined as “To bury or drown beneath a huge mass; to defeat completely,” no other feeling could be more appropriate to my life right now, but I persevere.

I remember being a meek — yet freakishly tall — freshman. Upperclassmen friends preached the fact that junior year was the most demanding year of school, followed by a breezy senior year. I was foolish enough to believe that hoax to the point where I laughed in the face of my semi-challenging junior year and welcomed the carefree life of a senior.

I think I jinxed it.

Truly, I can only blame myself. Too many hard classes, too much involvement in multiple theatrical productions, too many trivial life problems — too much responsibility and rigor across the board. But when I ask myself where I would be without these things, I see myself as cross and bored.

As much as I hate it, I work extremely well under pressure. Take for instance yesterday in theatre. I was asked to attach a set of cabinets to some wall flats for our upcoming fall play, “The Boys Next Door.” In 40 minutes, I wiped away everything else going on in my life and led a small group of guys as we completed the task.

It felt good. And I’m not saying that those life crises didn’t come back after the fact, but for that period, I was able to relax — in my own unrelaxing way. However, I found it ironic that my escapism was also the original problem in itself, but I really wouldn’t ask for anything different in my life.

I shudder at the thought of where I would be without all of my day-to-day activities. This blog itself I composed over the course of four different activities on Thursday. At each commitment, I started fresh, got my fill, and moved along, all the while writing this blog post that surprisingly reads like a blog post (a first for me, I know!)

All in all, I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m thankful. I know Thanksgiving is but a couple weeks out, but all of this has been circling in my head for the past month or so. As much as I may whine about it, I’m thankful for the rigor. I’m thankful for the friends, teachers, and bystanders that have stuck by me lately. It means more than they could ever comprehend.

I promise I’ll get back to my daily grind of music, coffee, and entertainment related blogs next week. I just had to get all of this out of my head and into the mind of anyone who happens to stop by.

Have any questions, comments, concerns, or dire need of multitasking tips? Feel free to email me at [email protected] or tweet @thehippestcat.