A supergroup to save the world

Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Flea (Red Hot Chili Peppers), and Joey Waronker (Beck/R.E.M.) walk into a bar. Bartender asks: “What do you want?” They reply: “World peace and good music.”

In my rambling mind, this is the scene I imagine when I think of the new band these iconic musicians have formed. ‘Atoms for Peace’ released their debut LP, “Amok” just last week after forming the band nearly four years ago.

Fellow staff reporter, Amy Sweeney actually introduced me to them by thrusting the CD into my hands the morning it was released, and I couldn’t be more thankful.

The music drifts with a purpose; elegant and punctual, it is clear these veteran recording artists knew what they wanted. In short, I find this album to most closely resemble Radiohead’s experimental masterpiece “Kid A,” with a little more purpose.

The debut single “Default” is lively and driven. Flea’s popping bass lines and Waronker’s frenetic percussion propel Thom Yorke’s signature vocals into a cascading harmony that endures for the entire record. Much like “Kid A,” the constancy holds your attention close as the experimental symphony progresses.

Moreover, I recently rewatched one of my favorite foreign films, “Fish Story” — a 2009 Japanese drama — wherein an underappreciated band from the 70’s writes a song that inadvertently saves the world from a comet barreling towards earth in 2012. If I had to pick a band to save the world at this exact moment, I couldn’t think of anyone more awesome — and with a better storyline — than “Atoms for Peace.” (Thom Yorke and Flea are basically my personal super heroes already, so suiting them up to fight imminent doom would be an easy transition.)

Amazingly enough, “Amok” has yet to reach the U.S charts after peaking at #5 in the UK this past week. So, I highly encourage you all to grab a copy of this marvelous album and take a cleansing drive around town while you drink up it’s glory.

If you think another band is more worthy of saving the earth or if you’ve got any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to send them my way at [email protected] or on twitter @thehippestcat.