YIG’s technical group shines at state

Youth in Government traveled to Jefferson City for its annual statewide convention. Schools from all around Missouri went to the state capitol to introduce bills and legislation to peers. The two day trip resulted in significant legislative success for Central.

The convention’s student governor failed to show up, which resulted in scrambling of committees.

“Everything was chaos for a little bit,” said junior Michael Roundcount. “People got switched around, which made getting our bills together difficult.”

Only one Central student, freshman Kelci Davis, had a bill signed this year. But despite the letdown, ten students received top honors and were elected to prestigious positions. YIG members won such awards as “Best Committee Chair,” “Most Debatable Bill” and “Most Courageous Member of the Senate.”

The technical group of YIG also did well, winning best technical piece. Each day, the group would film and broadcast convention stories shown on closed circuit television. Junior Logan Miller was elected technical director for next year’s meeting and is excited to show off his talent.

“I’m honored to have been elected,” said Miller. “The team worked really hard and it showed.”

YIG will meet again next year to continue working on and revising bills. Teacher and sponsor Margo Hoffman reflects back on this year’s group.

“This year was very special,” said Hoffman. “I have good kids and they always do well for me.”