Spartan bands donate to St. Louis Crisis Nursery

This week, the Spartan bands conducted a fundraiser for the St. Louis Crisis Nursery Center.

The Crisis Nursery Center is a center where parents can bring their children when they are overwhelmingly stressed.

Children are also placed in the care of the Crisis Nursery Center when they are in a situation of domestic violence, when there is a lack of shelter or necessary utilities or in cases of situations which jeopardize the safety and well-being of the child and necessitate temporary parent-child separation.

The main goal of the Crisis Nursery is to prevent abuse and neglect before it begins by giving parents the opportunity to leave children in the nursery’s care for short periods of time when there is no where else for parents to turn.

“Debbi McDonald (band booster parent) contacted us about the Crisis Nursery Center, and we thought it would be a really good way to give back to the community,” said Mr. Andy Messerli, assistant band director.

Donations are primarily collected during the Spartan winter band concert and has so far been very successful.

“We would like to do something like this every year. We are not sure if it will be the Crisis Nursery Center next year, but we would like to do some kind of charity event every year,” said Band Director Nathan Griffin.

Donations are primarily being collected during concerts this week, but if donations are given after they will still be accepted.

If you would like to find out how else you can help with the Crisis Nursery Center visit http://www.crisisnurserykids.com/index.htm.