Band program gets back in the swing of things

The snow fall not only canceled school last week, it canceled after school activities. Among the activities canceled was the A-Band’s performance at the girls home basketball game against Holt High School on Jan. 20.

Various teachers were scheduled to play alongside the A-Band. A few band students had already asked their teachers and some teachers had already requested to see the band’s sheet music. This teacher accompaniment is to be rescheduled for a later game, but at this time Band Director Nathan Griffin is unsure as to what day that is going to be.

However, the teacher accompaniment is not the only thing the band department had planned.

Last night was Eighth Grade Night at the school. This night helps recruit new band members as the eighth graders become freshman. The newcomers played with the A-Band to get a taste of what the high school experience is going to be like.

“Unfortunately because of all of the snow, only ten or 12 kids came out,” said Mr. Griffin.

In other news, the winter drum-line and winter guard will be performing Saturday, Jan. 29 in Eureka.

“I’m excited for them to kick-start their season,” said Mr. Griffin.