DECA competitions begin

On Feb. 9, 40 students were chosen through a multiple choice test to compete in the DECA districts. Among these students, 20 were able to place and move on to the state competitions. Some students who placed were competing for the first time, but for others this would be their last districts competition.

Mary-Beth Daugherty, a senior, was able to place in her category, Travel Tourism Team Decision Making, with her partner senior Natalie Chaffee. This duo has a happy-go-lucky attitude and was really excited rather than nervous for their competitions, according to Daugherty. They now have a packet of vocab terms to learn before their upcoming state event.

“We were not nervous because we had two straight weeks of practicing and the school is really good at preparing students,” said Daugherty.

Daugherty believes their team is strong because she and Chaffee are good friends. They understand each other and both work well in persuading the judge.

“DECA prepares you for the future,” said Daugherty.

Junior Hannah Greco, who also placed in her individual event, agrees with this statement as well.

“DECA helps you prepare for job and college interviews and how to deal with your boss,” Greco said.

Greco placed in an individual competition category called Restaurant Management and Food Services. This was her first time competing and she says she was extremely surprised when she heard she would move on to state.

Many students who will move on are now preparing for their upcoming state competitions where they hope to have the opportunity to move on to nationals.