DECA students prepare for state

DECA finalists are continuing to practice for their upcoming state competitions in Lake of the Ozarks. Senior Emmanuel Rivera placed fourth out of 17 other competitors in his event and will have the opportunity to compete at state.

“I was really surprised and didn’t know what to expect. Not a lot of Marketing I students get in,” said Rivera. “I was nervous in front of the judges.”

Rivera competes in the accounting category as a one man team. He is currently studying all of the new jargon he must know for state. He also hopes to work on being comfortable around the judge by studying many roll plays from previous DECA competitions.

“[State] should be fun. I am really excited,” said Rivera.

The DECA finalists are all studying and preparing individually rather than having a group effort. There will be 20 DECA students who will have the opportunity to compete at state.

Competitions consist of students taking a DECA test and present in front of a judge. If these students place in their category, they will have the chance to compete in the national DECA competition.