Spartans ride win streak into districts

The boys volleyball team ended its regular season Wednesday night with a win against Seckman to finish the season 23-6-2.

The team is now looking ahead to districts, which it will host at home on Saturday starting at 9 a.m. The team will need to finish in the top two in the round robin tournament to advance to the state quarterfinals, which will be held Monday in Kirkwood.

Coach Mark McAfee says those spots are between DeSmet, Zumwalt West and Howell Central.

“Two of us [of those three teams] are going to go to the quarterfinals,” McAfee said.

The team ended the regular season last year with a record of 22-4-1 to go on to win the district title and place second in state.

This year, the Spartans are seeded second in their district and sixth in state. Nonetheless, Coach McAfee sees the potential in this year’s team for a third straight run at the state title.

“I think we’re a better team this year than we were last year, but at the same time, other teams are better too,” said McAfee. “I think we have the talent to win it all but have to remain focused.”